It's time to seriously get playful!
‘Heaven lies about us in our infancy,
Shades of the prison-house begin to close
Upon the growing Boy,
But he beholds the light, and whence it flows,
He sees it in his joy.’ ~ William Wordsworth
‘To stimulate creativity, one must develop the childlike inclination for play.' ~ Albert Einstein
Here are seven suggestions to ignite your creative spirit:
- Call your most light-hearted friend and ask her if she can come out and play...
- Find a set of swings, preferably with long ropes and high enough so your feet don't touch the ground... Go as high as you can!
- Take a drive... anywhere. Just drive and see where you end up (it's called adventure).
- Take yourself on a date. Visit a favourite cafe, a museum, an art gallery. Enjoy a leisurely lunch... buy yourself some beautiful flowers.
- Pack a picnic and head to the beach for a blissful few hours of sun, sand and solitude...
- Go skinny-dipping! (Especially fun with a friend!)
- Write down your dreams. It's a whole other world of adventure... Dreamland is Playland!
I remember calling friends after school and saying, "Can you play?" (I'd wait while they asked their mom)... then off we'd go to build a fort, play Snow Queen or Ice Capades... or maybe just hang-out in the back garden and talk about what we were going to be when we grew up.
‘When I grow up I want to be a little boy.’ ~ Joseph Heller
What do you want to be when you grow up? Can you play?